1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Flamingo

Re: 1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Post by Flamingo »

Looks awesome! :) :) :)
I don't weld. I don't fabricate. And I can't even fix most of the things I break. But I do have niche-iness to offer. You're welcome.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Glad it all worked out!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Looks good. Are those LED's ?
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Marla

Post by Marla »

Yes, those are LED's. When I went to 12V I upgraded all of my lights interior and exterior (except headlights) to LED's. I just purchased the bulbs for the sconces, I should have those installed soon.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Marla

Post by Marla »

It has been a little while since I have posted any updates on Gunther. I have been doing little fixes here and there.

I finally got the wiper arm on the passenger side reinstalled. When I went to 12V, the pivot ends with the set screws were not in the correct location causing the arm to bind up and actually bend. Once that arm was bent, I couldn't get it straight enough to reinstall it the correct way. Thanks to HeyEd, who rolled it out and straightened it for me, I was able to re-install it the correct way. He pointed out the divots in the arm created by the set screws. Where the pivots were set to the first time, the arm was 1/16" too long. So I noted the correct original location and put them back on in the same exact location. They seem to be working fine now. At least for the moment and as good as the wipers can work. :D
IMG_1130.JPG

Now it's time to re-install the radio and then, possibly replace the antenna. The radio was sent out to have it rebuilt, fixed and have a voltage drop installed for the 12v conversion. He labelled the wires for me so I should be able to get it working without too much trouble.

IMG_1132.JPG
I am deciding if I want to keep the original crusty antenna, or install a new one. I purchased one from Wolfsburg West and I am not happy with the quality of the antenna. If anyone has a nice looking, easy to clean up "original" antenna, I would consider buying it from you. I would consider the 2 post mount style or the single. There looks to be holes that were plugged in the emblem, so I am not sure if that was an antenna mount location or not.
IMG_1133.JPG
It's Marla with an " L"
Marla

Post by Marla »

Some of you may have heard Gunther had some issues on the way home from the Vermilion Beach Market. Long story short, I ended having it towed to Bruce’s shop who ended up taking the engine out to Rich Sedoris (RIS) for an engine re-build. It turned out there was an issue with the main bearing. You can go to the rismachine/tumbler page to see all that was done to the engine if it is of interest to you. While RIS was doing the re-build I took the opportunity to make some minor upgrades. I had to replace the crank, so I got a new counter balanced crank from CB Performance. I also got a new oil pump with the oil filter on the side, and I had RIS replace the original valves with new stainless steel valves. My valves were not damaged at all, I just wanted to give it the extra belts and suspenders. RIS was able to turn the engine around quickly and I was able to drop it back off to Bruce to have it re-installed. I picked it up on Friday and he is back to running like a champ again. Freeway driving was a breeze, great acceleration and good power. Bruce did a lot of other things for me while the bus was waiting. Among other things, some electrical fixes that were needed in the engine bay, adjusting brakes, some front end adjustments and a general lubrication of all hinges, door latches and replacing missing hardware. We were able to get power back to the sconces and water pump that were accidentally disconnected in the last run of fixes. Amazingly enough the LED sconces only draw .01 Amps when they are both on. I got warm white bulbs so they look great.

A big thanks to Bruce for all of his help, to Bill for getting me parts in a pinch giving great advice, and to RIS for the quick turn around on the engine re-build. I drove it around quite a bit this weekend. I am ready for an oil change and getting him cleaned up and ready for KI.
Attachments
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG
Running around town
Running around town
Back at home where he belongs
Back at home where he belongs
It's Marla with an " L"
lurch

Post by lurch »

Wow what a great crew of guys .its not a good day when you have engine issues like that but with bill,bruce,and ris you had a great team to get you back on the road .All of these guys are great people to have in our community and in your time line they got you taken care of by going above and beyond. Also great to hear Bruce got some of those smaller projects tidied up for you as well .must feel like Gunther is five years younger :lol:
the best ideas are often the worst choices.
vanagons
mopeds
TRL

Post by TRL »

Great to hear L!
The Rick Lang
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Glad it all worked out. And in time for KI too! :D
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Well, it started out simple and innocent enough, a valve lash adjuster loosened up, the nut walked off, the screw backed out and the pushrod fell out. This caused constant backfiring into the intake manifold because it was an exhaust valve not opening. No sweat, put that back together, adjust the valves, good to go, right?
P8080004.JPG
The fan belt's loose, better take care of that. Crap, the nut's all mucked up with the threads gone
P8080014.JPG
and deposited them on the gen shaft.
P8080020.JPG
No sweat, we have the technology. Chase the threads,
P8080034.JPG
Find a nice German nut and washer thing in my junk,
P8080017.JPG
And we're good to go. Easy, peasy, she'll be happy, right?
P8090037.JPG
:twisted:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus