Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

wwebner

Re: Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other change

Post by wwebner »

Way to go Rick. Problem is you won't be able to join the off road outing in a slammed bus :lol:
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

I wish my project had some savable og paint under it. Pat had this late bay i worked on that had 3 layers of paint and he started to sand it off. It turned out to be a collage of paint and it looked pretty cool. Nothing looks cooler then a lowered split all patina'd out with some dual webers in that beast. In my humble opinion that is.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Still having some trouble with my blue-white paint... Probably have to get some rattle can paint burned through a couple spots :/
The Rick Lang
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Have you tired any chemical paint remover products? Also, Smetzer Paint in Avery, Ohio makes one hell of touch up rattle can paint. Its about $20 a can and has the hardener and reducer mixed in. Works awesome for the little areas that you burned thru. They have all the old vintage vw paint codes
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

" Smetzer Paint in Avery, Ohio makes one hell of touch up rattle can paint. Its about $20 a can and has the hardener and reducer mixed in. Works awesome for the little areas that you burned thru. They have all the old vintage vw paint codes"

good info :)
Bill
TRL

Post by TRL »

Busjunky wrote:Have you tired any chemical paint remover products? Also, Smetzer Paint in Avery, Ohio makes one hell of touch up rattle can paint. Its about $20 a can and has the hardener and reducer mixed in. Works awesome for the little areas that you burned thru. They have all the old vintage vw paint codes
Thanks! I will definitely look them up! Ill need some! And for the removers, the paint over my white has been tough. Easy-off has been super slow. Ive been diluting stronger stuff with some success. Just taking it slow.
The Rick Lang
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

TRL wrote:
Busjunky wrote:Have you tired any chemical paint remover products? Also, Smetzer Paint in Avery, Ohio makes one hell of touch up rattle can paint. Its about $20 a can and has the hardener and reducer mixed in. Works awesome for the little areas that you burned thru. They have all the old vintage vw paint codes
Thanks! I will definitely look them up! Ill need some! And for the removers, the paint over my white has been tough. Easy-off has been super slow. Ive been diluting stronger stuff with some success. Just taking it slow.
When I used easy-off i found that it worked extremely well when the metal was warmed up and in the sun. I got one entire side stripped in just a hour or two. The next day i came back in the morning. My bus was in the shade still and the easy-off was nearly useless. I waited till the afternoon and tried it when it had warmed up. It worked like a champ again. That was in my experience. Results may vary, but try cranking up heat overnight and give it a go in the morning. Hopefully your indoors. Also, that paint Smetzers makes is Nason brand and its mixed right there in front of you. Its a PPG brand. Ive had alot of great results from it. Its awesome for patina matching.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

In addition, I noticed a huge difference between spray can EASY-OFF and spray bottle EASY-OFF. The spray can stuff was much better. This is old info from years back but it might still apply.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
TRL

Post by TRL »

Dual Port wrote:In addition, I noticed a huge difference between spray can EASY-OFF and spray bottle EASY-OFF. The spray can stuff was much better. This is old info from years back but it might still apply.
Ok. I have both but I will go with the aerosol can. Thanks.
The Rick Lang
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

For the paint,instead of paying $20 a can. You could use this,available at most automotive paint supply stores. About $5. replacement aerosol is about $3. You can then have your paint mixed by the quart. Something any automotive paint supply shop can do.
IM003090.JPG
IM003091.JPG