Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

Six Volt

Re: Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

Post by Six Volt »

Interesting stuff. I have an assortment of some (perhaps) 25HP, definitely 36HP, 40HP, 1300/1500 CC and assorted other pulleys that I've never measured. I know they're different, but never appreciated the effect on a motor. I'd love to ID them all, but it ain't happening in my lifetime.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

RE: DVOM temp sender. I bought an extra cheapie DVOM at WalMart yesterday to use in class for $19.97, it had the wire temp probe like I mentioned. It seemed very accurate checking my core body temperature. You can easily slip this down the dipstick tube to verify your gauge reading. Their website shows it's only $16.42 and has two pictures of the temp probe being used.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Mult ... 9/14521541

Good Luck!
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
TRL

Post by TRL »

Dual Port wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 4:05 pm The two pulley sizes are about 6 5/8" for the smaller one and 7" for the bigger one.
It's a stock VW pulley but now im interested in measuring it thanks for the thought! I do have a temp probe so I will check the accuracy of the temp gauge. Thanks for the tips everyone!
The Rick Lang
TRL

Post by TRL »

So, working on my clutch issues. Shifting had become harder and harder... and the clutch would grab with pedal to The floor. Adjusted the cable until almost no freeplay and same results. Added washers to
Bowden tube to give more bend. Then put in new cable and and bowden tube and still the same. Just pulled the motor and everything inside looks fine. Pressure plate, disc, and T/O bearing look fine. HD cross shaft and forks still look as beefy and straight as ever. I will put in a new T/O bearing since i had to drive with no freeplay to get home. Im really stumped here... Do I need a new PP? Its a nice Kennedy stg 1 and looks fine...
Attachments
IMG_4610.JPG
IMG_4611.JPG
IMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4614.JPG
The Rick Lang
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Put the PP on the floor face down and step on it with your foot. With your (ample) body weight you should be able to press it to see if it feels like it operates smooth and even. If you have a tranny input shaft that you're using to align the clutch, put the disc on it, stick it in the flywheel, and make sure it looks like it's running true (not warped) to the FW. If all of this looks good you'll need to swap out the PP or disc and stick the motor back in with one top bolt. Adj the clutch freeplay, put the tranny in high gear, and have your buddy push the clutch pedal to the floor. Lock one rear wheel with a block of wood and when the pedal is down the tire, tranny, and cl disc should all rotate without drag. As your buddy raises the pedal you should feel the normal point where the cl grabs and the tire will lock. He pushes down on the pedal and the tire will spin free again. This confirms clutch grab and release without the trouble of putting the whole f'ing thing back together to see if it works.

BTW I have parts to try if you don't.

This diag procedure came from doing zillions of MD/HD truck clutches. When the (Fuller Roadtranger) tranny weighs more than a VW Beetle you want to know right away if something inside the bellhousing isn't right......

:D
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

IMG_20170602_191724.jpg
Make sure your clutch tube didn't break loose where it's welded to the torsion housing.

If it isn't broken, weld it up more anyhow. You actually drive your Bus, so it will break eventually.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
TRL

Post by TRL »

Big thanks to Widefive for clueing me into the broken cable tube weld. My Clutch cable tube did in fact break free of its welds from the torsion housing and definitely flexes a surprising amount under load. It flexed so much its hopped over the accelerator cable tube and it is jammed up next to the front tranny mount. Hopefully that resolves my issue and gets me rolling again!
The Rick Lang
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

It's almost like I actually know what I'm talking about. Almost..... :mrgreen:

Glad you figured it out!
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Marla

Post by Marla »

Great news Rick, glad you will be on the road again so quickly.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
TRL

Post by TRL »

Good news everyone! None of that helped! Even went through Bruce's diagnostic sequence and still having the trouble of little to no disengagement. This Kennedy pressure plate was one of the few parts reused from the old motor and it seems it's time is done (or so I hope...). So I called around for a new clutch kit and LA Products had one on the shelf. So I ran down and picked up a stock Sachs kit with new PP and disc. Perhaps this is a lesson in futility and ole smokey blu doesn't want to goto Mohican. Perhaps fixing the wiper linkage and installing wiper arms and blades upset the balance of the force. Perhaps its time to bribe Chuck somehow and borrow his perfect in every way doka. More tomorrow.
The Rick Lang