Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

chuckspence

Re: Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

Post by chuckspence »

C'mon Bill we can share the head retorquing secret with Will, Yes Will heads require torquing every 4000 miles after an engine rebuild and it must be done til the engine has 80K miles on it (20 times), and you have to up the torque spec to 163% of the original specified torque, but wait there's more! every other time you do this you must remove the head stud nuts & washers and reseal them or reapply a molybdenum disulfide assembly lube or risk breaking the head studs (this is why Jake Raby recommends using teflon based pipe sealant for this,so you only have to reapply on odd prime numbered intervals,ie:1,3,5,7,11,13,17 & 19), if the above procedures are followed carefully your air cooled VW will have years of trouble free travels.
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

But seriously, I've never retorqued heads, but that is not to say that air cooled engines may not need to have their head/cylinder connection checked, most newer engines employ one time use stretch bolts in torque critical areas, cylinder heads for certain, those bolts are tightened to a specified torque & then turned to an additional torque angle (another 1/4 or 1/2 turn or something like that) this stretches the fastener and puts a more constant tension on the connection, which enables the fastener/connection to endure the repeated heat cycling, where my son works (HS Tuning) they scrap 20+ pounds of fasteners every week just from axle,engine & suspension work they perform, VW may not have used stretch fasteners when they designed the upright or pancake engines, but they understood fastener torque and unless you notice some kind of issue you probably need not worry about it...
TRL

Post by TRL »

Thanks friends! Im hoping I dont need to retorque but on the 1-2 side I see what may be some carbon buildup. Hopefully Im wrong :)
The Rick Lang
TRL

Post by TRL »

So Ive been busy prepping this bus for the trip to CTS. I have few pictures to show for it. Front beam swap completed. Did an alignment via the Art Brow method. New accelerator cable and new pedal linkages. Properly installed a cigarette lighter plug. Topped off the gear oil. Brake check and adjustments on all 4. After some further inspection my motor just has a weeping pushrod seal and didnt require any further action. Started to tune my carbs with my wideband O2 reader. Its wild how rich my current jetting was and yet it seemed to run fine. A fat 7.4 was the reading :shock:. 14.7 is the perfect burn for gasoline but its also the hottest. Anything lower is rich and higher is lean. The best performance and milage come from utilizing the different jet circuits to their full advantage. You can make a rich running motor run ok but your really just waisting gas and polluting more.
The Rick Lang
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Just curious. Did you get your a/f readings under load,going down the road?
TRL

Post by TRL »

After some jet changes and resyncing and retiming everything, here are some of the results I'm seeing. (Spoiler alert, its like having a whole new motor!) So having the O2 meter really helped train my senses on what was happening. At warm idle the reading is around mid 13's. Under light cruising load on the idle circuit, the numbers pull up as the rpm s do(the idle circuit only provides so much fuel so there is less and less fuel to provide as the motor spools up). Around 3k is the top end of the idles and Im getting around 15.5 which is fine under light load.

Under hard pulls with the mains kicking the reading is around 13.5. Under hard pulls the transition between idles and mains are pretty smooth. Under a slower transition between idles and mains is where a gap can be felt. I may need to change the air jets to get the mains to kick in a little sooner amd help out. EBut overall this is a huge improvement! Oil temps never past 240 under long hard pulls as speedo does a once around and runs into the 0 peg. Which is somewhere in vicinity of 83 mph. I can smell the cleaner burn and the popping and bucking of unburnt fuel is seemingly gone. Wish me luck as try to make to CTS in one piece!
The Rick Lang
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

240 EOT is at the upper limit of where you want to be, try to stay under 220-230 if you can. If you're in this area you should run a full syn like Mobil1 or similar.

Good Luck!
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Marla

Post by Marla »

Safe travels Rick... Have a great time.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
TRL

Post by TRL »

Well CTS trip in the books! At least 1,200 miles. Clutch cable was giving me some problems. Needed tightening on the way and down and then again on the way up only it was out of threads. Was able to get home, and hope to find a stretched out old cable. The other big issue was my oil temps. In the 90+ degree heat on the highway the temps climed to 260. Got a little concerned and did a idle jet swap to richen things up. That helped a little but the temps were still high. If I cant find an obvious explanation like t-stat flaps stuck or something. Am I to start looking into an external oil cooler? 60 mph yeids about 3300 rpm and 70 is around 4100 rpm. So plenty of air should be flowing on stock pulleys. Engine compartment is sealed up well too.
The Rick Lang
Josh

Post by Josh »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:12 pm Rick, you'll soon learn that gauges just make you paranoid. What you don't know, won't bother you! ;) Nice job on the motor btw.