My New Project

Mike Kever Kombi

Re: My New Project

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

toolbox wrote:That is a 914 engine and depending what parts are on/in it it will not be a good match for a bus.
Perhaps, but at least he can say "bus, with Porsche engine" and it would be true
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Your only real problem with using the 914 case is the dip stick tube and the oil fill. Not sure you have enough room (ht) in the bus engine compartment to pull the dip stick out. 914 oil fill is the can that sits on top of the breather tower. If you have that you should be ok for oil fill. Not sure if the 914 dip stick tube is pressed or swedged into the case. If you can get it out you can then use a Vanagon one. and,you will have to use a bus flywheel. If you intend to use those pistons, they look like the european spec flat top ones which will bring your comp ratio up to around 8:1.
Bill
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Bill
Pistons have a slight inverted dome to them.
They measure 92.4 +/-
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

OOPs, :oops: They looked like flat top in the pic. Sounds like not a 2L. Other that the things I mentioned the engine is VW. Porsche 1.7 and 1.8 914 engines
were identical to VW.914 engine #s were in a different location than VW vehicles. Look on the top side of the case near the flywheel end of the case.

If it has an EC engine code,it is U.s. spec 7.3:1 comp ratio. If it is an AN engine code it is euro spec 8.6:1 comp ration.
I believe the difference was the depth of the dish in the piston.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Thanks bill
Will look for that when i get home. What are your thoughts on the jugs and opening the case. I am kind of thinking leave well enough alone. On the other hand im thinking replace the bearings. Any chance you might need to go for a drive? I would like an opinion other than mine. Let me know
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

You don't need to open the case.1.7,1.8 and 2L T4 cases all have the same case bore. 2L crank and rods are different from 1.7 and 1.8. But will work in any T4 case.
Old school guys would hone the cylinders and install new rings.
I have not had to try and find new 1.8 pistons in years and don't know how available they are or the cost.
I would definately replace the bearings and the cam and lifters.

Everything depends on your budget.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

are 92.4 1.7 0r 1.8 pistons?
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

1.7 is 90mm cyl bore (3.543in)1.8 is 93mm (3.661in) which would make yours 1.8.

Also if you find the eng code, W,EA and EB are 1.7 while EC and AN are 1.8
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

I strongly recommend this book for your project. All the specs and very good instructions.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/ ... ook_308340
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Bill
It is an EC engine.
Finally found the numbers under the crud