John's t-4 engine rebuild

Mbkeith74

Re: John's t-4 engine rebuild

Post by Mbkeith74 »

All I have to say is the money was well spent. Ed does awesome work and I would suggest only him because as stated he will do it quick and have the best quality still. He had to re weld my heads and install new seats and valves. Just to get a set of 74' big valve heads would have been 1,200$ and I wouldn't be sure of what I was getting. I guess you get what you pay for. Buy once cry once...........
John

Post by John »

re-man F.I. s ordered 152.91 with core charge.
Last edited by John on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Still waiting for the crank to come back from DPR. In the mean time,the heads came back from Delzani's,as mentioned above.The heads looked good upon teardown. my only concern was that the valves seemed to be sitting a little deep in the seats. I did not get a pic prior to sending them off. Turns out that the Chinese valves used in the AMC heads have very thin heads. Most likley the reason for their pre mature failure associated with these heads. However,the castings are very good. Most reputable T4 engine builders routinely throw them away and replace them with GOOD valves. The new TRW/Kolbeschmit valves sit up nicely on the seats.
IM003701.JPG
We can't do much more until we get the crank. We did pull all the oil galley plugs and tapped them for plugs. This will insure that when the case goes for cleaning,any remnants of that nasty red silicon that the last guy used,along with any other foreign matter in the oil passages will be cleared out.
IM003692.JPG
IM003693.JPG
IM003694.JPG
Attachments
IM003691.JPG
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

In terms of the oil passages, is it sufficient to just open them up prior to cleaning? Or do you have to run a brush through them? What type of cleaning of the block are you doing? Are different cleaning methods used for aluminum blocks compared to magnesium?
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

KB Machine in N.Olmsted uses a turbo wash type of cleaning. Similar to a commercial dish washer. Solvent used is compatable with all metals. In addition,when we get it back we will use a rifle bore cleaning brush and compressed air to be sure ALL the oil passages are clean and free from obstruction.
John

Post by John »

I stopped at a not so local H.F. and picked up a G.F.B. gun ,then I stopped at a little more local G.S. and picked up 6lbs of B.S. Took these items home and tried B.A.'s cleaning method on my pistons , T.B. and some nuts and bolts, werked very well, it took the carbon build up off the pistons like NOW. also tried on the fan shroud butt B.S. it is not a paint remover. butt it werks well on greasy fingers.
Attachments
T 4 011.JPG
T 4 010.JPG
Mopar's Rock...
John

Post by John »

SLOWLY moving forward not backwards...this is good. :lol:
remember "RARE" is a 4 letter word, :lol:
Mopar's Rock...
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

The crank came back from DPR. Beautiful :D Welded on counterweights,balanced and polished. all journals measure perfect standard.Stock crank on the right.
IM003721.JPG
John has cleaned the pistons. The original (60,000 miles) look very good. I weighed them to balance them,but,
the lightest and the heaviest were within .4 grams. Since we would shoot for 1 gram, no need to.
IM003719.JPG
Now,off to the machine shop to have the rods re bushed,big end sized and balanced along with the flywheel and PP.
Since the type 4 fan is magnesium and very lite to begin with,there is no advantage to balancing it.
Hopefully,begin the assembly within about a week.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Who is doing the balance work?
The Rick Lang
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

And from your post we should assume that's who's doing the rods?