John's t-4 engine rebuild

wwebner

John's t-4 engine rebuild

Post by wwebner »

Continuing this from http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4280

A few pics. After teardown,began to inspect.
IM003675.JPG
Center main bearing looked like this.
IM003690.JPG
Also was sloppy in the bearing saddle and dowel hole was ovaled . This bearing was definitly moving.
At first I thought that the case would need align bored. Took a NEW standard bearing and it fit nice and tight. Looks like the back side of the bearing took the beating.

Found too much red silicone inside the case. Machine shop also found some in the heads.
IM003689.JPG
we will be pulling all the oil galley plugs and tapping them prior to going to the machine shop for a thourough cleaning.

More to come in a couple weeks when we get the crank back from DPR for welding counter weights and balancing.
Ken

Re: John's t-4 engine rebuild

Post by Ken »

Just curious, who is DPR?
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Awesome to see that the case doesn't need an align bore. This plus other work John did in the last 6 months-year means he'll be on the road for many many miles!

Ken, I think Bill is talking about these folks who have been around awhile and are well known.

http://dprmachine.com/service-page/
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Ken wrote:Just curious, who is DPR?
They are a shop in Santa Anna CA that does crank work ,welding on counter weights and balancing. Demello is no longer in business
John

Post by John »

DPR, Detailed Performance Report. filled out by EG, engine builder. Per CEO, Chief Executive Officer at DWW, Der Wagon Werks,
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
John

Post by John »

DPR, EB went south of the border 8-) ,
Ordered,
Two new heat exchangers from Nick? at EFA $325.00 each maybe in not sure EB went south.
New Empi header and muffler from CPI1 which arrived yesterday. (shipped out of BC).
Heads went out and were in good shape new valves installed, not sure what they needed butt they looked very clean at time of disassembly.
I am think n I ll have almost as much in the exhaust, as in the parts for engine rebuild. :roll: (SOB).
Waiting on crank to be returned from CA. You know DPR. When EB returns crank block and related will be sent out to machine shop.
(T.A.F.N.) (P.O.) @ (R.O.)...
P.S. (D F Y R C) you may need it today. :mrgreen:
Mopar's Rock...
John

Post by John »

After looking at my F.I s, I found they do have some rust so I did some searching this weekend found that O.A.Ps has remaned F.I s for 31.99 each with only a 4.00 core with a warranty, I will be ordering them on Monday, to those of you that found, donated, or looked thru piles of stuff thank you. And this way I ll have four that did werk, well the engine did run last year.
Also found out what I paid :roll: the machine shop for valve seats and one pass on the mill, crazy cash. Yes I got a case of sticker shock.
Could have bought 167 lb s (@2.99 a lb) of fresh off the floor bologna and some chip s.

L.L.@.G.B.

All suggestion efforts are appreciated, once again L.L.@.G.B.
Last edited by John on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mopar's Rock...
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Holy crap that's a lot of money. Where did you send the heads???

There's a place on Rt58 in South Amherst where Glenn always sent his engine heads that was pretty reasonable.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Just paid Tom Simpson $120 for doing a pair of T1 heads with new exhaust valves (no seats). I can't see a huge difference between doing a set of T1s vs T4s.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Yes, the "guy" (Ed Delzani, Delzani's Cycle, www.delzani-cycle.com) I use for head work is pricey, and even though John's heads only needed a basic valve job, I left the decision up to Bill and he said to send them to my guy, those of you not familiar with the issues with type 4 cylinder heads may think the $$$$ is way out of line, you may be wrong, certain type 4 heads (& waterboxer heads) are unavailable OE new or aftermarket, and those that are available start at about $500 each (AMC) those heads have known low quality valves (China) and it is recommended that the valves are changed to higher quality Italian,German or Brazilian valves (osvat or TRW),what does all this mean? when working with type 4 heads you don't want to take them somewhere that should be able to do a good job, because if they don't get it 100% correct you may need to buy a $500 head and have 4 valves replaced, or 2 heads, and that's just for the heads that are available, 1974 bus heads are a one year only item with the largest valves ever used by VW in a type 4 application and are unavailable new or aftermarket, if you need 74 heads you may have to repair what you have, Matt Keith had his 74 heads done by Delzani's and was very happy with the work, And Ed gets the work done in a day or two, No having to call every week wondering if or when your work might get finished, No shipping charges to & from California, No exchanged head with an unknown history, Delzani's is open Monday thru Saturday and you are all welcome to visit, and get you own opinions about Ed Delzani, lastly: this is where I take high core cost work to be done, not necessarily the place to have run of the mill type 1 engine/head work done, What I hope is that I get to hear John bitch about the money he spent on his damn heads for years, While his Vanagon keeps going down the road without any issues.