Another 1976 Westy!

Enenen

Another 1976 Westy!

Post by Enenen »

Well this post is long past due. I found Leakoil from somebody's post on the Samba and got in touch with Chuck to help me with some of my issues, and now I'm finally getting around to posting. I'm Ian, and I bought my 1976 Westfalia last summer. First time buying a vehicle sight-unseen and driving it home, halfway across the country. My girlfriend Allie and I flew down to Austin and drove it home. Here's a link to that story and pictures from the adventure, as well as our next trip to Vermont, where we started having problems: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... highlight=

On our trip to Vermont last fall we started having issues. When we finally limped it back home, we knew it was time to start making the necessary repairs. I created another post over on the Samba for some help with the problems I was having, and that's where somebody recommended I get in touch with this guy "Chuck from LOAKOIL." I gave him a call and he came down a few days later to take a look. Turns out I'm missing a bunch of parts thanks to the previous owner removing the fuel injection in favor of a carb, and then a TX shop cobbling a FI kit together to re-install it, without all of the original pieces. But it got us home from Austin. I guess that's what happens when you buy somebody else's project. Chuck said "get that engine pulled and we'll start making it right" so that's what I did. After a couple trips down to Akron to bring me parts and knowledge, Chuck noticed that the keyway on the crankshaft was all blown out and put back together with Loctite, so I packed up all of my freshly sandblasted and painted parts and took them up to his shop. The gas-tank has now been cleaned out and reinstalled, with a new fuel-filler neck and rubber hose. We re-cushioned and re-upholstered the front seats, and cleaned up and greased the swivel base on the passenger seat. Here are some recent photos:
Attachments
IMG_3030.jpg
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg
IMG_2997.jpg
IMG_2968.jpg
TRL

Re: Another 1976 Westy!

Post by TRL »

I always hear about your project from Chuck-hole. I'm happy to see you post about it. Chuck knows how to make things right! I also spy that moped in your garage ;) Buses and mopeds are a natural progression :) Good luck!
The Rick Lang
Marla

Post by Marla »

Great story Ian. Great job in getting it all situated and back in order. Looks like an awesome bus with lots of miles ahead.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

It's good you found Chuck. He is the right person to take on the job. If you can take his rough demeanor, listen and do as he says you will be up and running. Prepare for a much lighter wallet after all the things the Bus will need are done.

And welcome.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Welcome Ian. Hope you get your bus running by KI. Read your story :P
My wife and I brought a vehicle back from Texas also. I'll tell you our story over a beer sometime :)
TRL

Post by TRL »

Anytime Chuck gets on your nerves just remember that "you're doing it wrong".
The Rick Lang
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

With that Bay and your ability to put up with Chuck, you'll fit right into this group. Welcome!
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
ohiowesty

Post by ohiowesty »

Ian, I enjoyed reading your story. You seem to have a good attitude pertaining bus ownership. I got my bus last year and started worry free; then, the more I learned about it, the more paranoid I got; and then started to let go, and just drive and enjoy. I guess it's full circle.
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

"Somebody recommended I get in touch with this guy "Chuck from LOAKOIL."

Who would of done that?? :lol:
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro