78 Bay - newbie member, newbie owner, beginner

marley16kristin

Re: 78 Bay - newbie member, newbie owner, beginner

Post by marley16kristin »

Just got back from Advanced Auto Parts...here is my bounty. Did I get the right kind of Voltmeter? I'm going to venture underneath tomorrow after work and check out this brake light switch aka "the creature" :lol:

Bruce would you be the man to do what was suggested earlier? comprehensive inspection before you go needlessly replacing things. The first thing on the list should be EVERY SINGLE FUEL LINE, VENT LINE, FILLER LINE, SENDER O-RING and VACUUM LINE. - if so, would you have any time this weekend, or possibly next weekend? I could come out during the weekend and you could take a look and then I could leave her next weekend as I'm out of town.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
1978 Bay "TOOTSIE"
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

That multimeter will work.

You might also want to get a 12v test light
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

I enjoyed that, thank you very much Kooper!
Kooper271 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm To summon Chuck you need to:

Go into your bathroom at midnight with all the lights off
Light two candles
Close your eyes while facing the mirror and whisper three times "Progressives are better than fuel injection"

When you open your eyes he will be there!
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Those 1154 bulbs will work for about 5 minutes and be very bright and burn out. They are 6 volt, you need 1157 that are for 12 volt cars get some 1156 too.

The thing you have going against you is that it was converted to carbs and a ton of stuff was not finished correctly. Call Chuck and over the winter I see a FI reinstall project. Chuck's info http://www.leakoil.net/forum/memberlist ... ofile&u=74

You have a big plus in that is a really clean Bus and looks like it has not been too molested and hacked.

Owners manual https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/78bus.php

Wiring diagram https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... _77-78.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... 78_key.jpg

FI diagram https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... Wiring.jpg

This is what your engine should look like...

wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Put an LED bulb in that lite. Incandecant gets too hot.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

marley16kristin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Bruce would you be the man to do what was suggested earlier? comprehensive inspection before you go needlessly replacing things.
Yes, but bad timing. This Saturday is a "maybe" with the next 4 weekends booked for me. Check back Fridayish and we'll see where my schedule lies, I'm waiting on an engine to show up. If the engine shows I need to get that in, if it's delayed you're up to bat. If yours happens it would be little more than looking things over, no big work done, but that's a good start.

:mrgreen:

PS +1 on the LED bulb- Bill's talking about the trouble light, not your bus. LEDs run cool, plus they don't break when you drop them.

I wonder what the split bus air freshener smells like? Oily heater box smell? :lol:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
marley16kristin

Ok thanks again guys.

I'll take the bulbs back and get the 1157 and 1156, and also pick up a 12v test light. Anything else that is a must have in the garage at the moment?

I tried to give Chuck a call and it said VM not set up. He may have thought my San Diego number was a telemarketer and with the amount of help I need he wouldn't be far off! I also sent him a message here. Hopefully he'll have some time to go over stuff with me. What is a FI replacement? Is this bad?

I'm gonna check out that pressure switch...I'll keep you posted.
1978 Bay "TOOTSIE"
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

marley16kristin wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm What is a FI replacement? Is this bad?

I'm gonna check out that pressure switch...I'll keep you posted.
Someone replaced your factory fuel injection with carbs. Is it bad? Depends on who you ask. I don't know much about carbs but it looks like you have dual carbs which are way better than a single progressive.
marley16kristin

well I'm back. I ventured underneath. I took the pan off but I can't find the brake light switch. I see two black things with wires connected to them but they weren't underneath the pan and they are pretty corroded. They have what I would describe as caps on them so I can't see how the wires are connected. I was a little hesitant to go poking and prodding. I did take a bunch of photos of underneath. I'm not an expert but I think I can safely safe there is definitely some work to be done here. Thoughts?

I have the bentley, just didn't know what I had. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_9703.JPG
IMG_9702.JPG
IMG_9701.JPG
IMG_9700.JPG
IMG_9699.JPG
IMG_9698.JPG
IMG_9697.JPG
Last edited by marley16kristin on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1978 Bay "TOOTSIE"
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

marley16kristin wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I tried to give Chuck a call and it said VM not set up. He may have thought my San Diego number was a telemarketer and with the amount of help I need he wouldn't be far off! I also sent him a message here. Hopefully he'll have some time to go over stuff with me. What is a FI replacement? Is this bad?

Get this book too Image

FI replacement means putting the original parts of the fuel injection system back on. The carbs work but if you are not used to working on them they can be a pain, it will also make cold weather drivability an issue without chokes.