78 Bay - newbie member, newbie owner, beginner

chuckspence

Re: 78 Bay - newbie member, newbie owner, beginner

Post by chuckspence »

Austin, for a guy that doesn't show up to many Leakoil events your posts are entertaining...

Now back to Kristen's issues, I'm on the near westside (Lakewood) and can assist with most bay issues, time permitting, your Bus appears to be in very good condition and at least one of the previous owners had enough knowledge to replace the fuel injection with dual carbs and not the engine killing single progressive webber, (used to love the factory fuel injection for it's simplicity and ease of repair, until I dealt with Lil Miss Sunshine) so hopefully all Tootsie needs is basic maintenance and a few new parts...
marley16kristin

Post by marley16kristin »

Hey Chuck...nice to meet you! Your reputation precedes you :)

I live in Bay Village so we are in close proximity. When would you be available for a tune up? I am available anytime but out of town next weekend 22-25th. I would really like to spend some time with you if you are up for it, so I can learn a thing or two. I don't foresee myself rebuilding engines but anything in the easier range that I could fix, I would like to be able...and deducing what problems I may have down the road definitely would be an asset.

I would also like to keep a tight ship on Tootsie so we have many happy years together.
1978 Bay "TOOTSIE"
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

" Your reputation precedes you" :lol: :lol:
TRL

Post by TRL »

Welcome Kristen! Great looking bus! My advice is to just start out slow and take lots of pictures! Start with little easy things first and build on your experience. I see you motor is carbureted. They come with a little learning curve, but what doesnt? If the motor is running ok then I would definetly suggest putting your time and resources into making the bus safe to drive. The brakes being foremost. Then lights, steering and suspension. All of which Chuck or Bruce could help out with. Best of luck!
Last edited by TRL on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rick Lang
John

Post by John »

marley16kristin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:22 pm Hey Chuck...nice to meet you! Your reputation precedes you :)

I live in Bay Village so we are in close proximity. When would you be available for a tune up? I am available anytime but out of town next weekend 22-25th. I would really like to spend some time with you if you are up for it, so I can learn a thing or two. I don't foresee myself rebuilding engines but anything in the easier range that I could fix, I would like to be able...and deducing what problems I may have down the road definitely would be an asset.

I would also like to keep a tight ship on Tootsie so we have many happy years together.
Welcome to the club, something else you may want to pick up,
Attachments
1000.jpg
1000.jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
NIKLES1974

Post by NIKLES1974 »

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN WITH MR. SPENCE, YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP HIM AWAY FROM HIS GREEN PAINT.
NICHOLAS ALLCAPS
1974 BRILLIANT ORANGE SUPER BEETLE CONVERTIBLE
ALLCAPS IS MY FONT !
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Hey NICK, get a bus already... or keep quiet....
NIKLES1974 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN WITH MR. SPENCE, YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP HIM AWAY FROM HIS GREEN PAINT.
marley16kristin

Post by marley16kristin »

Its been a crazy week but I wanted to give a bit of an update on Tootsie.

I went out to meet Bruce last Sat. at his shop...WOW what a shop, and Bus 1 and Bus 2 are awesome, but Bruce is the best! He was sooooo patient with me and that damn rotten Tire Rod. After a quick trip to the local hardware store in Bus 1 for the correct nut, a lot of fire and die casting - he did it! Bruce is a miracle worker.

We got lots of good news about Tootsie, which I gotta say was a huge relief...seeing how Koa and I know nothing about buses we managed to pick a damn good one based on instinct - or maybe, just maybe she picked us 8-)

I'm ordering some parts and then the next project is getting those brake lights working, and getting some new brake hoses installed.

Mainly wanted to drop by and give Bruce a big shoutout and huge thank you! Koa and I are planning to come by the meet up on Thursday and hope to meet some of you.
1978 Bay "TOOTSIE"
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

To clarify, a tie rod had a mucked up nut on it with mucked up threads, it had transferred metal from the nut to the tie rod stud itself and needed to be chased. Split busses and Bugs use an unusual 10x1.0 thread there and I have a handful of those nuts I've saved just for that reason, but I didn't have any Bay tie rod nuts.
I can't believe with 6 tap and die kits worth nearly a grand I didn't have a 12x1.25 die.
I do now. :mrgreen:

Brake hoses are dated 77, but that bus has had great care and is in excellent shape underneath. (New Mexico bus) I ran a magnet all over the nose, windshield surround and sliding door and there is NO mud in that bus.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
John

Post by John »

six tap and die sets, lol! harbor freight has a generic set (metric) that has 12x1.25, (blue metal case)had the same problem back in the buggy from hell days, set has held up well,
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...